Friday, January 10, 2014 - , 0 comments

Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox Cleanse (pt. 1)

To start off my resolutions, I decided to try Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox Cleanse. It didn't seem too gross and it seemed like a quick way of getting me on track.  The plan is based on 4 smoothies a day. Each one jammed with more fruits and veggies than I eat in a day. 

Prep

 Despite the claim that you can do this cleanse for $16 a day, I ended up leaving Giant with half the produce department and a $100 hole in my pocket.  Even though my taste buds weren't dancing in delight, I was excited by the challenge. For 72 hours: No Wheat, No Dairy, No Meat and... 

No Coffee!!

It seemed silly that I would have a tough time cutting these items out of my diet for three days. A few hours in, however, it wasn't so silly.

Day 1 - Tuesday

The first challenge of the day was skipping my morning coffee.  I drink coffee religiously and enjoy its delicious aroma, taste and kick more than I probably should.  Coffee makes me happy.  Putting my sorrow aside, I grabbed my green tea with lemon and went to work.  

The morning smoothie was pretty good.  Anything with banana and berries in it is yummy.  You can't even taste the hidden spinach. I sipped it slowly and tried to imagine it was a breakfast sandwich.  It was followed up by a multivitamin and a probiotic.  

The lunch drink wasn't as bad as everyone has made it sound. It's a thick green drink which throws many people for a loop, myself included. There are a few tricks, however, I learned over the past 3 days to make these smoothies tasty (summarized in my next post). 

After lunch I started hurtin'.  My head was pounding and I had visions of devouring an entire loaf of bread.  All I wanted to do was eat a donut. It was rough but my overwhelming urge to consume carbs fueled my motivation to continue.  

During this detox I opted out of the snack smoothie and had a banana instead.  I didn't feel like I needed it and craved an item I could actually chew.  

The dinner smoothie was a killer! The spiciness of the cayenne pepper dominated all the other ingredients.  It was tough to get down and a disappointing way to end a tough day.  In my weakness, I stole a bite of shredded cheddar and ate two sweet potato chips.  Don't underestimate the power of chewing!  It's something you really miss on a liquid diet.  

I went to bed, head still pounding, imagining the yummy food I would eat on Friday...

Day 2 - Wednesday

Day 2 wasn't a difficult as Day 1. The breakfast smoothie went down fine.  No complaints.  

The lunch smoothie, on the other hand, was disgusting.  I'll discuss this later but don't add the flesh of the lime....just don't.  I couldn't finish it and relied on my sliced cucumbers and banana to get me through the afternoon.  I was relieved my headache seemed to disappear and I felt healthier and lighter.

After work, Tim and I went to Wegmans. It was probably the most painful grocery trip of my life.  I looked longingly at all the forbidden delicacies.  I never knew so many foods could be mouthwatering. Just 1 more day....    

The dinner smoothie was so much better without the pepper!  I drank it down with no problem.  In my desperation to chew something with flavor I nibbled on a few goldfish crackers and ate a few chucks of mango.

Day 3 - Thursday

Woke up feeling clear headed.  I didn't even miss my coffee today and all my carb cravings were gone.   All the smoothies were yummy but I did feel a bit hungry between lunch and dinner.  No major problems but I did feel an overall sense of being healthier. 


The detox was challenging but not impossible.  It revealed the ugly side of my food choices and motivated me. I recommend it for anyone looking to shake their food addictions and start fresh.

0 comments:

Favorite Quotes

'Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.' -- Anonymous

Weekly hits

SearchThisSite