Thursday, January 9, 2014 - , , 0 comments

We hear it every January: New year, New you...

Despite the hype and the somewhat unsuccessful nature of resolutions, every January I jot down a list of things I would like to accomplish during the year. I usually vow to be more organized, wake up earlier, eat better and go to the gym more.  The list is where most of my resolutions end.  Life always seems to get in the way and there just aren't enough hours in the day.

This year my motivation is fuel by more than just the new year.  I have a beach vacation coming up in a few weeks and I still have the dreaded......baby weight!  To be honest I didn't gain very much weight during my pregnancy (somewhere between 20-25 lbs).  I lost a majority of it shortly after Maddy was born and by the time I returned to my doctor (6 weeks later) I was within 5 lbs of my original pre-pregnancy weight. My body shape had changed but I was proud I dropped the weight so quickly.

I was doing great but, when Maddy stopped nursing, the pounds packed on. For those that don't know, when you breastfeed you can eat mountains of food because your body is always "working".  When my body quit, I kept eating like a football player (bad combination).  All of a sudden clothes that had fit were shrinking around me.  My selection of jeans dwindled down to a measly 4 pairs and I was too stubborn to buy newer larger ones.

Last but not least, the act that forced me to pull the trigger on all my promised resolutions, recently I was asked IF I WAS EXPECTING!! If you want to sucker punch a new mom's confidence, ask that question. I felt terrible (and still do). I took a hard look at the things I love to eat and the things I don't.  I love anything creamy...I love wine...I love coffee...I love pasta...I love cheese.  I don't care for green veggies...tons of water...and many of the other healthy things that seem to lack the pzazz of sodium-packed-high-calorie-foods.  I realized none of the foods I loved could ease the self loathing inspired by the question above.

So I start 2014 like so many others with a promise to myself to eat better and be healthier.

0 comments:

Favorite Quotes

'Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.' -- Anonymous

Weekly hits

SearchThisSite